Monday, June 24, 2013

Reflection #3: First Teaching Experience/Observation



06/11/13
         Today was one of the most exciting days. Teaching the children was a blast and working with my group members was even better. Today showed me that working with little children can be a very, very fun experience and not only do we teach them plenty of important information, they teach us a lot too. My favorite part was talking to the children, getting to know them and creating a little bond. Certain kids started clinging to certain group members. The only thing I wasn’t fond of in this experience were the bugs, of course! I am greatly afraid of bugs but I had to seem like they didn’t bother me while I was in front of the children. The teachers were very nice and easy to work with: they helped us more then I thought they would, and we actually got done with our lesson quicker than I thought we would. Saying goodbye to the students was difficult. I enjoyed them so much that I wished I were coming back the next day to teach them about something else. I really enjoyed myself and I would like to go back. I think when we go to the school with the special needs students it’s going to be the next best thing.

        When we began teaching the students that day, we reinforced level one (Pre-conventional Morality), stage one of Lawrence Kohlberg’s Stages of Morality. Stage one is obedience or punishment and it states that rules are established and children are expected to obey or receive punishment/consequences. We reinforced level one when the students began talking over us and not everyone was putting up their “Moose Ears”, which is a method used to grasp the children’s attention and to quiet them down. One of the instructors and myself told the students that they would have to put their Moose ears up and quiet down or they would take a time-out.
         I would say the setting of the place was very healthy, fun and energetic. The people were environmental based; they cared deeply about the environment and wouldn’t even let us kill a spider that was crawling around on the floor. The facility was very clean and it was well organized. They had animals around the place such as: frogs, snakes, turtles and very many insects but thankfully they were all in cages.
         The behavior of the students was pretty good. We only had one crier and we got his complaint solved quick, fast and in a hurry! We didn’t have to ask the children multiple times to do something and they always got it done without talking back. I was very surprised and pleased about that! Their cognitive levels were high; interaction really got their attention and got their little minds flowing. If we didn’t have interaction, I don’t think they would have responded as well as they did.
         The teacher’s actions and interactions were my motivation because they did their jobs so well and I wanted to be like them when it came to communicating with the children. They did their jobs well, and if I decided to become a teacher and/or day care worker, I will think of them and the ways they taught me how to handle the children.
         I applaud my group members; they did an excellent job! Everyone did what they were supposed to, equally and with enthusiasm and it went better than expected. We all worked together, got the jobs done and took many pictures. I’m excited for what we have next in store. 





No comments:

Post a Comment


Children, What Does 2+2=?