Monday, June 24, 2013

Reflection #4: In- Class Lesson Presention



06/12/13

My group and I taught how to model strut and I was the male model, Keyana was the female model and Cre'Shawn was the model of what not to do. We taught the class by first defining what a model is and the difference between a male model and a female model. After they got a better understanding of the different model struts, my group and I demonstrated the different ways to model. We then picked individuals out of the class to try and do their model strut. Some people participated and some didn’t. One of the strategies we used was to first go over classroom rules and make sure everyone was on board and knew what we expected from them. To me, it was a good method, but I personally don’t think we were ready to work on classroom management. We’ve had a lot of demonstrations, but I think we got caught up in being funny and stopped focusing on what we were suppose to be doing. I also believe that our teachers should have assigned the lessons that we needed to teach before we actually taught them. That would have gotten everyone’s attention better and probably would’ve helped better because none of the groups could think of anything to teach the class, then when we finally figured out something it was either boring to the class or the lesson didn’t have much valuable information which eventually led the class to be less attentive. I don’t think it worked because once again, I feel like we started out okay and then everyone in the groups started to disrupt the class and try to make everyone laugh and it lost everyone’s attention. We were teaching things that no one would be interested in except elementary school students. If we taught them math, they wouldn’t have been that interested because it’s boring to most people, but at the same time, it would have been far more worth getting everyone’s attention. I believe it would have been worth getting everyone’s attention because math is something everyone needs to know but modeling isn’t for everyone. My overall reflection is that this was a good exercise- a very good exercise. We could have had a better outcome if the rules of the exercise were stricter and if we focused more on the purpose of the exercise instead of making everyone laugh. Some of the problems the students were creating were talking back, if I told them to get a pen and pencil out they told me they didn’t want to and this lesson was dumb. They started fighting and being argumentative with my group and myself. Talking over each other was the main issue, I couldn’t even hear myself think and we were getting beyond far off topic. They were just not showing much respect to the classroom nor teachers at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Children, What Does 2+2=?