Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Reflection #7: Teaching Experience



06/20/13


         Today my group and myself went to McDaniel School to observe and we observed children suffering with disabilities. It was pretty depressing. It was a good experience but it hurt to know that the children were suffering so much and some of them are going to respond the same for the rest of their lives. I don’t think I could teach a whole class of disabled students. I’m sure if I had the proper training then possibly, but honestly that changed my whole outlook. I was never a student to talk bad about disabled people or hurt their feelings, in fact I was to boost them up and or give them what we call “Poker Chips” which are basically giving the child “Cool Points” making them feel better about themselves and the situation. It’s pretty much a self-esteem booster and the method is highly effective.
         The positive reinforcement that they used was letting the children know they did a wonderful job- even it was something little. They made the children pick up after themselves and if they didn’t obey (I noticed in the preschool), they had a timeout chair that they students had to sit in for one minute.
         The negative reinforcement I noticed was when one of the teachers were reading a book to the class during snack time and one of the little boys kept asking for more and more snacks. She told him that he needed to cut it out. It wasn’t necessarily a bad method, but it was the way she did it. I believe she could have handled it a little nicer instead of being so mean with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Children, What Does 2+2=?